Movie News

Monday, March 25, 2013

Dan's Discs/Past Ebert 3/26/13--THE SANDLOT!

For the second consecutive week Dan's Discs and Past Ebert share a post.
I don't want to compromise the weekly Holiday that is New Release Day.
So if you want to buy LINCOLN or 'Paul Anka: Live in Switzerland' the links are to Amazon.
(You know Anka can still bring it. Old school cat. Gives you everything he's got, every time.)

However, a Beast-Sized Blu-Ray being released today, is why we are here:



Yes, my friends:  The Jet, Ham, Yeah-Yeah, "FOR-E-VER" and Wendy Peffercorn in 1080p.
This movie is HUGE with the 35-Under crowd.
 I've heard people drop, "You're killin' me Smalls."  hundreds of times.
The line has over 500,000 views between all the copies:



I saw THE SANDLOT in a special free preview. 
There was a Team-Photo Postcard that acted as a ticket to the screening.
I was 8 years old and it was possibly the coolest thing ever. 
I would estimate I've seen THE SANDLOT . . . 35-40 times.
It played on a loop at my friend's houses from 1993 to 1998.
Loved it then and love it now.



Our boy, Roger Ebert, liked it too.
Read his entire 3-Star Review here.
He opens his review with this gem:

"If you have ever been lucky enough to see 'A Christmas Story,' you will understand what I mean when I say 'The Sandlot' is a summertime version of the same vision. Both movies are about gawky young adolescents trapped in a world they never made and doing their best to fit in while beset with the most amazing vicissitudes.

I mean, that opening, is why I started Past Ebert. That's how you wish you wrote. 
Ebert just writes two sentences, nails a perfect analogy and drops truth-bombs. The dude kicks ass.

Okay, so I'm sure you've got THE SANDLOT in the collection. I think I've got a VHS and a DVD.
But I noticed something in the Amazon listing that made this a must-buy:

A Special Set of 10 Trading Cards! 
I don't want a Benny "The Jet" Rookie Card.
I NEED IT!


Legends never die, kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment